Recipe: Smoky Apple Wild Turkey Breakfast Sausage
by Josh Dahlke | @thehungerofficial
One of the best parts about spring turkey camp is regrouping with your compadres after a morning hunt to share stories and bust a gut about sunrise shenanigans. This ritual is best conducted over a hearty breakfast.
Successful turkey hunters often forget that you can run your gobbler through a grinder. Lean, flavor-rich wild turkey meat—mixed with fatty pork and the right blend of seasonings—makes for primo sausage.
This breakfast sausage recipe will become a permanent fixture in your wild turkey cookbook. Combine it with my bonus recipe for French crepes, and drown the whole show in maple syrup to induce a big round of applause in turkey camp.
INGREDIENTS (SERVES 8-12)
2 pounds cubed wild turkey breast
1 pound cubed pork trim/fat
1 diced large apple
1 diced medium white onion
1 tbsp. smoked Kosher salt
1 tbsp. fresh minced sage
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. fennel seeds
1 tsp. ancho chili powder
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1. Cube turkey and pork.
2. Mix dry seasonings.
3. Mince fresh sage and add to dry seasoning blend.
4. Dice onion and apple. Brown in lightly oiled skillet. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
5. Assemble meat grinder. Put metal grinder components into freezer at least 1 hour before grinding; this makes for less mess and easier grinding.
6. Grind cubed turkey and pork together.
7. Add onion, apple, and seasoning blend to ground pork and turkey. Mix thoroughly by hand.
8. Run seasoned meat through grinder again. Catch finished sausage in a Ziploc bag.
9. Cool sausage in fridge overnight.
10. Form sausage into patties and cook in lightly oiled skillet over medium heat.
This wild turkey breakfast sausage goes great with fresh crepes and maple syrup. Here’s a bonus recipe for crepes:
INGREDIENTS (SERVES 6-9)
1/2 stick melted butter
1 cup flour
1 3/4 cups milk
1/4 cup coffee liqueur
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1. Sift flour to remove chunks.
2. Whisk together eggs, butter, milk, and coffee liqueur.
3. Slowly whisk in sifted flour until mixture becomes consistency of heavy cream.
4. Add sugar and salt and whisk for even distribution.
5. Heat lightly oiled skillet to medium. Ladle crepe batter into pan, making sure to keep it very thin.
6. Flip crepe after approx. 20 seconds. Cook opposite side for another 15-20 seconds.
7. Remove from heat and serve with wild turkey breakfast sausage and maple syrup.